Download Metalinks with these programs...
- GetRight (Windows) is a Download Manager that supports Metalink.
- FlashGot (Cross platform, Open Source) is a Firefox extension that integrates with around 30 Download Managers and supports Metalink (an older version, it needs to be updated) with wxDownload Fast, Speed Download, and GetRight 5.2d and later.
- aria2 (Unix/Windows, Open Source) is a high speed download utility that supports segmented downloads, BitTorrent, and Metalink (HTTP/FTP/BitTorrent integrated) from the command line. aria2fe is a GUI front end for aria2, as is aria2::gui, and karia2, a QT4 based GUI in development. powerpill is a wrapper for the pacman package manager. Libretto (Unix) is a Web based download manager that supports Metalink through aria2.
apt-metalink (Unix) for Debian/Ubuntu systems, makes the upgrade process faster.
- Speed Download (Mac) is a slick Download Manager with fast downloads & P2P filesharing. It integrates with popular Mac browsers like Safari, Camino, & Firefox (along with 5 others).
- wxDownload Fast (Mac/Unix/Windows, Open Source) supports Metalink.
- Free Download Manager (Windows, Open Source) supports Metalink.
- Orbit Downloader (Windows) is a new download manager with interesting P2P features.
- SmartFTP (Windows), an excellent FTP client on Windows, supports Metalink for adding files to a transfer queue and checksum verification (no acceleration).
- Phex (Mac/Unix/Windows, Open Source) is a Gnutella P2P client that can download and export Metalinks.
- Appupdater for Windows "is similar to apt-get or yum on Linux. It automates the process of installing and maintaining up to date versions of programs." They also have a Metalink Repository. It uses Metalinks for a specific set of programs and does not allow downloading with other .metalinks obtained elsewhere.
- Metadl (Windows, Open Source), a NSIS download plugin based on libcurl, is used in Wubi which is a Ubuntu installer for Windows. Hampus Wessman has added download resuming, Metalink, checksum verification support, and repair information (in Wubi development branch, not in released version). Wubi downloads a Ubuntu ISO from one mirror over FTP/HTTP and takes advantage of Metalink's features of higher availability and increased reliability. If there are errors in the download, they are repaired.
- DownThemAll! (Cross Platform Firefox Extension, Open Source) is a welcome addition. Nils Maier has added Metalink support, with checksum verification and multiple file selection.
- TheWorld Browser (Windows) is a "tiny, fast, yet free, secure and powerful web browser." It's the first web browser to natively support Metalink.
- Metalink Checker (Mac/Unix/Windows, Open Source) is a command line Python downloader that supports multi-source downloads and chunk checksums, as well as checking mirrors listed in a .metalink file. It can also be used as a library.
- Retriever (Cross Platform, Java) is a download manager that includes Metalink and BitTorrent support.
- GGet (GTK, Open Source) by Johan Svedberg is a Google Summer of Code project to make a modern download manager for GNOME. It uses Metalink Checker for the backend.
- VeryCD easyMule - an eMule variant tied to the VeryCD site.
- Mini Downloader, part of the Metalink tools, is a standalone downloader of Metalinks. The first release focuses on downloading OpenOffice.org.
...Programs in progress...
- KGet (KDE 4, Unix, Open Source) includes Metalink support. Snapshots and daily builds are already available for openSUSE, Kubuntu, and Arch Linux. KDE Commit Digest has details.
- Net Transport (Windows) is a download manager that also supports BitTorrent and captures streaming audio/video.
- libmetalink is a Metalink library written in C language. It adds Metalink functionality such as parsing Metalink XML files to programs written in C. PylibMetalink, Python bindings for libmetalink, are available.
- yum, an automatic updater and package installer/remover for RPM systems (Red Hat, Fedora, CentOS) uses Metalinks behind the scenes for system updates. Details.
- mulk (Open Source) is a non-interactive multi-connection network downloader with image filtering based on libcurl.
- JDownloader is open source, platform independent and written completely in Java.
- MetaProducts offers a number of apps with Metalink support, such as Offine Explorer Enterprise and others.
- Smart Package Manager has Metalink support.
- Metalink Access (Opera browser extension) lets you download Metalinks in the browser.
- Internet Download Accelerator/Download Master support Metalink.
- uGet supports Metalink with the aria2 plugin.
- Metalink Downloader is a new Chrome extension with Metalink support! (Now on the Chrome Web Store).
- cURL (Cross platform, Open Source) support requires some code and a Metalink C parser. Metadl uses libcurl.
- GNU Wget (Open Source) support was added in Google Summer of Code 2012 but is currently in a separate branch. Here's the feature request and start of the feature spec.
Ready to use Metalinks on your site?
- DLApplet (Java, Open Source) is a proof of concept downloader and only supports basic Metalink downloads for now.
- Celerius (GTK, Unix, Open Source) plans to be a powerful and simple download manager. Still in a pre-alpha state, and Celerius 0.1 release date is unknown. Code (Python) is available on launchpad for Celerius and Celerity. Celerity is the downloading library for Celerius. It can currently handle basic metalinks, multi-file support, automatic file verification via checksumming, and also supports segmented downloading.
- Snappy (Open Source) simple downloading. The Snappy project develops libsnappy, a download library based on libcurl. It will support metalinks and segmented downloading. The emphasis is on simplicity and lightness, while providing fast and robust download capabilities.
- Metalink parser implementation in Java (Open Source) No release yet, but some code is available.
Check out the the Metalink booklet
and "Making Metalinks" article
Planned future clients:
- the MirrorBrain, openSUSE (& more) download redirector, automatically redirects clients (per HTTP redirection) to a mirror server near them. Peter Poeml has added Metalink support.
- Metalink Editor (Cross Platform, GUI, Open Source) is a Metalink editor by Hampus Wessman written in Python which allows you to create and edit almost any kind of Metalink.
- Metalink tools (Unix/Windows, Open Source) - Bram Neijt's command line tools for generating Metalinks.
- Metalink Library for PHP and Python (metalink-library) (Unix/Windows, Open Source) - "A script based library to create and manage Metalink download files." Rene Leonhardt's fork of the Metalink Editor.
- Geo McFly (Unix/Windows, Open Source) - On the fly generator of metalinks based on client's geographical location by Per Řyvind Karlsen.
- Metamirrors Metagenerate gives you an easy Web UI to create Metalinks. There's also the Linux kernel metalink generator (and it's PHP source).
- Metamirrors is a checksum linking database.
- Simba (Unix, Open Source) - the mirroring tool, includes Metalink plugins and templates for automatic generation. See Simba in action
- RoPkg::Metalink / Metalink @ Packages Resources (Unix, Open Source), by Manuel Subredu, provides updated Metalinks for the Arch Linux, CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Linux Kernel, OpenOffice.org, openSUSE, Ubuntu/Edubuntu/Kubuntu ISOs. Software and source code (GPL, Perl) for generating Metalinks is also available there.
- cURL provides Metalinks for their downloads with a Perl script.
- Bouncer (Open Source) powers downloads for various projects like Mozilla. A patch for Metalink generation has been submitted by Bram Neijt but not yet integrated.
- MirrorManager creates Metalinks for Fedora ISOs.
- Origo is a new and easy to use software development and hosting platform for open and closed source projects. Among many features, it has easy release management and mirroring with automatic metalink generation.
- Metalink Generator by NetCorp creates Metalinks in a Web UI. This application is unmaintained and does not support all Metalink features, so using another generator is advised.
- find that file is a search engine for downloads, and it now spiders Metalinks!
- metaTED offers Metalinks of TED talks and software for creating them.
- Metalink Ruby for creating Metalinks with the Ruby language!
If you like Metalink, request support in these sites or clients on their forums or bug trackers:
- Axel (Open Source, Unix) support requires some code and a Metalink C parser.
- Lailaps Download Manager (Open Source, Windows/Unix) is a Java download manager with planned Metalink support.
- ReGet (Windows) is an excellent download manager too, in multiple versions. Metalink is scheduled for ReGet Deluxe 5.3.
- Internet Download Manager (Windows) is a download manager that Metalink would fit well with.
- iGetter (Mac/Windows) Download Manager plans to support Metalink.
- Safari is Apple's browser. Metalink support in Safari is Bug ID# 5323134.
- Opera is a great standards compliant browser that's always adding new features. Current threads: 1, 2, 3
- Google Chrome (Open Source) is another wonderful browser.
- Firefox (Open Source) is pretty neat too. Downloads, Protocols.
- FlashGet is a Windows download manager.
- BitComet is a download manager that also supports BitTorrent.
- CuteFTP is a Windows GUI FTP client.
- gwget is a Gnome GUI for wget.
- Shareaza (Open Source) would be great as well.
Other Metalink clients and tools are in development. Please email us if you create one, so we can link to them here.
Specification, Client Requirements for Implementation
Metalink is a simple XML (text) format. Download one and open it with a text editor, & most of it should be self explanatory.
If you want you can read the long, boring Metalink Download Description Format (.meta4 files) defined in RFC 5854
(Relax NG Compact Schema inline, XSD Schema
RFC 6249: Metalink/HTTP: Mirrors and Hashes
describes a way to pass mirrors and hashes in HTTP headers, along with using Metalink/XML files for error recovery.
The older Metalink 3.0 (.metalink files) specification: Plain text
[An updated version of older the specification (found at Metalink_3.0_Spec3draftX
) is in progress. Please post comments or questions on our Discussion
Details on the differences between versions (RFC vs Metalink 3.0) can be found at the Internet Draft wiki
page, along with clients that have been updated.
If your favorite client can already read XML (Atom
/Podcasts) then adding Metalink support should be relatively easy.
Minimum & optional requirements for integration into clients:
If you'd like to help out...
- Recommended: For file verification: Ability to verify at least MD5, SHA-1, and SHA-256 Checksums.
- Optional: Ability to use multiple URIs, either sequentially or simultaneously.
- Optional: BitTorrent, Magnet Links, ed2k links, and other P2P networks.
- Optional: Configurable options or settings for: language, location, operating system, etc. OpenPGP.
Join the Metalink Announcements
(also on Gmane
) mailing lists. You can also find us on IRC at #metalink on Freenode (sometimes).
If you have any questions, ideas, or just want to introduce yourself, write on our Discussion
mailing list. If you feel like coding, we have a list of small & large ideas that we could use your help on.
If you find Metalink useful, contact sites (Distributions) and programs and ask them to add support. Blog about it. Ask distributions to package and include the clients. If you're a developer, helping to add Metalink support to Open Source programs would be a huge help. Check out our ideas/getting started page!
We hope Metalink will be useful to Free and Open Source software. It was designed for community projects that use multiple mirrors and P2P. We invite other Download Managers, Web browsers, BitTorrent clients, and other P2P programs to support Metalink.
If you would like more information, we can be reached at:
Metalink Project Contributors
Available for Hire
(Stuff, Sundry Things, and Dreams)
(Site, initial FlashGot patch, Generator)
(Simba, RoPkg::Metalink / Metalink @ Packages Resources)
(Metalink tools, Metamirrors, Bouncer patch, Tons O' Stuff),
(Metalink Editor, Metadl - Wubi download plugin)
(Master Songsmith, Design Guru, Visiting Lecturer, Site Design)
(Master Songsmith and Storyteller, v2 Gen, Schema, Docs)
(RDF, GRDDL goodness)
|Per Řyvind Karlsen
(openSUSE download redirector aka the MirrorBrain)
bf (Logo), Paul Burkhead, Michael Burford (GetRight
Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa (aria2
), Max Velasques (wxDownload Fast
Yazsoft (Speed Download
), FDM Team
Nils Maier (DownThemAll
), Orbit Downloader Team
, Urs Wolfer (KGet
developer), Mathias Berchtold (SmartFTP
), Neil McNab (Appupdater
), Arne Babenhauserheide (Phex
Tom Mainville, Judd Vinet
, Patrick Ruckstuhl
, Ross Smith
, Dan Fandrich, Dan Brickley
Phoenix and TheWorld Browser Team
Hayden Legendre (Retriever Download Manager)
Mike Wells (aria2fe)
, Nicolas Alvarez, Rene Leonhardt (Metalink Library for PHP and Python)
, Nick Carrabba
, Troy Sobotka
, Corey Farwell,